ANAHITA  August 1999

ANAHITA August 1999

How about the Magdalene? re: Mythic Woman in Legend and Religion

Fri, 20 Aug 1999 17:22:45 EDT

My own vote would be for the Magdalene.  You have a more complex figure than
Mary, more in line with Eve & Bathsheba.  I believe that the pairing of
Reuben & Bilhah comes just within sight of the tower of Migdol, which is also
mentioned in Song of Songs, which to my mind shows that there's some loaded
message about her birthplace.

After the usual citations --Biblical & gnostic & christian-- you can then
jump to Marsailles & the legends of her voyage to that Phoenician port city &
the legend that she arrived pregnant & she & Jesus are the ancestors of the
Bourbon kings.  That & the grotto of her penance at Sainte Baume were, of
course, the reasons she was the patron saint of France before Joan of Arc.
And you can wind up with the Bemelmans' children's book on _Madeleine_ (which
is spelled differently, but I forget how), which is now such a favorite.  You
can show the red-haired Madeleine doll & some of the red-haired French
portrayals.

Sheila Shiki y Michaels

<<  I am trained as a biblical scholar, so will be using some biblical
narratives
 > (such as Eve, or Deborah, or Bathsheba, or (post)exilic narratives of the
"good
 > woman" and the "wicked woman," and Mary (as "virgin" and "Madonna") and
would
 > like to explore a few other examples of mythic women such as Lilith,
Sappho,