ANAHITA  August 1999

ANAHITA August 1999

Re: women abandoning men and vice versa

Yasmin Mathew <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 21 Aug 1999 02:24:56 -0400

Dear Jera,

Another example is that of Ariadne, thought to have been abandoned on the
island of Naxos by Theseus after helping him escape from her father and
Crete. The tradition deviates from this point, some say she was found by
Dionysius and became his bride, others that she committed suicide after
her abandonment. Theseus then married her sister, Phaedra.

As for an example of a woman abandoning her husband, the case of
Clytaemnestra comes to mind. After her husband, Agamemnon, left Mycenae to
lead the Greek expedition to Troy, Clytaemnestra was seduced by Aegisthus
(the son of Thyestes). They both began to plot Agamemnon's death,
Aegisthus to avenge his family and his lost birthright and Clytaemnestra
to avenge the sacrifice of her daughter Iphigenia at Aulis. Agamemnon was
murdered upon his return (in the bath according to the Sophoclean
tradition), but his death was avenged by the matricidal actions of his
son, Orestes. Hope my wordy reply helped a bit.

Yasmin Mathew