ANAHITA  August 1999

ANAHITA August 1999

Re: Articles/books for The Mythic Woman in Legend and Religion

Theresa Therese <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 22 Aug 1999 23:36:11 +1000

Hi!

I am new to this list, and frankly, new to this subject.  I am a university
third year contemporary musician, majoring in composition.  I was absolutely
stunned to read the words "Sara the Priestess", for I have never heard of such a
person and yet I wrote a song using exactly this phrase.  ...  "Sara the
priestess lives by your left door, takes in the strangers that you never
called".

I joined this list to research a philosophical core unit that I am doing.  I am
36.  For the first time in my life I feel marginalised by gender.  I have built
a house, mined opal and never been consciously aware that women were/are ever
denied anything because of their gender.  I am shocked!  I have realised that
every piece of music that I have studied at Uni, every piece in the curriculum
and repetoir, they are all written by men!  What does this tell me, as a female
composer?  I have had one female teacher in all my learning at Uni!

I approached the head of faculty who asked me to make written suggestions to
address the issue.  He also stated that the main reason for gender inequality in
curriculum material was due to lack of time to research suitable material for
inclusion.  I then approached the 'gender equity officer' and said that I would
like to do an Honours Year to find at least 100 items of composition (from all
periods) written by female composers to be used as a reference for the
teachers out there who are truly interested in equality.

If anyone out there can help with pointers in any direction, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!  for providing a site and discussion group on this issue.  It really
helps to not feel so alienated by the enormity of the realisation that women
have been creatively suppressed for a ridiculously long time.  I'm new to this,
I don't get it yet.

Theresa Therese
Australia