ANAHITA  August 1999

ANAHITA August 1999

Re: Noses or Lips

Kasia Szpakowska <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 29 Aug 1999 11:04:39 -0700

Hi!

In ancient Egypt, there are depictions of full-on lip-to-lip action, at
least from the New Kingdom on, and if I remember correctly, in texts as well.

It is quite likely that the nose-nose convention in visual depictions
had more to do with artistic conventions than with any lack of
mouth-mouth. AFter all, the usual way to insinuate "intimate" activities
was to show a couple holding hands, and then a slight bulge in the
woman's belly, & then a child. Obviously, we should not infer that they
did not practice intercourse  :-)

I would agree with Virginia that lips often slip into the action, & the
opposite is true as well, lip-lip inevitably leads to nose-nose.

--
Kasia Szpakowska
Dept. of Near Eastern Languages and Cultures, UCLA