ANAHITA  August 1999

ANAHITA August 1999

Re: Articles/books for The Mythic Woman in Legend and Religion

Jim Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 19 Aug 1999 20:44:22 EDT

In a message dated 08/19/1999 4:13:33 PM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
<<   . . .  a second year undergrad course I am scheduled to teach for the
first time this Winter--The Mythic Woman in Legend and Religion. . . . I am
looking for two kinds of books or articles:
 1) good, accessible discussions of theories of myth, legend, and
 religion--preferably from a feminist perspective and; . . . .
  I am trained as a biblical scholar, so will be using some biblical
narratives
 (such as Eve, or Deborah, or Bathsheba, or (post)exilic narratives of the
"good
 woman" and the "wicked woman," and Mary (as "virgin" and "Madonna") and would
 like to explore a few other examples of mythic women such as Lilith, Sappho,
 Isis, Tiamat, or others.  >>

    I definitely would recommend that you use Phyllis Trible's Texts of
Terror, possibly in conjunction with her other book, God and the Rhetoric of
Sexuality.  Possibly place the books on reserve and have the students choose
a chapter and write their reactions to her approaches.
    Also I would recommend The Five Books of Miriam (I have forgotten the
author's name -- my copy is out on loan).  I especially like the comments in
the Abraham and Sarah section on the times he passed her off as his sister
and its relationship to the sacrifice of Isaac.  This book has the advantage
of being VERY Jewish -- a welcome alternative to the plethora of Christian
feminist writings on Biblical characters.
Jim Miller