ANAHITA  August 1999

ANAHITA August 1999

Re: Articles/books for The Mythic Woman in Legend and Religion

"Henrietta L. Wiley" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 20 Aug 1999 11:34:58 -0400

I am also in the Biblical Studies field, so I find that Near Eastern
Mythology is where I am most comfortable.  You may or may not find this to
be true for yourself.  You might try Ugaritic mythology: Anat, Athirat,
Pughat/Paghit, characters in Kirta, and others both human and divine.
Also Hittite Mythology has an interesting divine character named Inara.

Good sources for this material are in the SBL Writings of the Ancient World
Series:
Hoffner, Harry A., Jr.  _Hittite Myths_.  Second edition: 1998.
Parker, Simon B.  _Ugaritic Narrative Poetry_.  1997.

If you want more analysis, Peggy Day and Neil Walls both have nice
treatments of Anat.

Although its 15 years old, Alan Dundes' reader is still nice.  It collects
some of the most important writings in the history of this area.
Dundes, Alan.  _Sacred Narrative: Readings in the Theory of Myth_.
Berkeley: University of CA, 1984.

You might want to take a look at Susan Ackerman's work for a feminist
perspective on the female principle in Israelite religion.  Phyllis bird
has a ton nice stuff too.  My all time favorite book on gendered aspects of
religion is Nancy Jay's published dissertation.  May she rest in peace.

Ackerman, Susan:
"The Queen Mother and the Cult in Ancient Israel" JBL 112 (Fall 1993),
385-401.
_Under Every Green Tree : Popular Religion in 6th-Century Judah_.  Atlanta:
Scholars Pr, 1992. (HSM 46)
_Warrior, dancer, seductress, queen : women in Judges and biblical Israel_.
 New York: Doubleday, 1998.

Bird, Phyllis:
Well, too much to list right now.  The HTR 74 article is a classic.  Also
check out the anthology _Gender and Difference in Ancient Israel_ edited by
Peggy Day, which has Bird's work and many other excellent articles.

Jay, Nancy.  _Throughout Your Generations Forever: Sacrifice, Religion, and
Paternity_.  Univ of Chicago, 1992.

Another nice book is:
Atkinson, Clarissa W, Constance H Buchanan, and Margaret R. Miles.
_Immaculate and powerful : the female in sacred image and social reality_.
Boston: Beacon, 1985. (Harvard Women's Studies in Religion 1).

Lots of nifty bibliography out there, but I would actually try to stay with
primary texts for content and keep my secondary material on the
methodological side.  I don't mean we shouldn't be critical of methods,
indeed we should.  My opinion is simply that we do our students more
justice to let them work out how gender and other values work themselves
out in the primary texts and to teach them to be critical about assumptions
and methods in this enterprise, rather than to feed them the reigning
interpretations of the day.

Good luck!  Should be a fun class.

-Rhetta Wiley
Henrietta L. Wiley
Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations
Harvard University
6 Divinity Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02138
(617)-495-5757