Re: Hidden Women

Wed, 8 Sep 1999 23:31:11 EDT

In a message dated 99-09-07 09:18:21 EDT, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Can you list a few other "maddening little women" from antiquity who call
 and then retreat?  (I guess that would include most all of them, but I'm
 mainly interested in those who strike you as stand-out cases.)

Oooooooooooooo.  Darling girl!
Let me start with one of my favorites, Queen Salome Alexandra , who ruled in
Judea from 76-67 B.C.E..  She survived two murderous husbands, the elder of
whom starved his mother to death in his dungeons.  The second husband was
forever grateful to her for freeing him from said dungeon, when she had to
choose one of her late husband's brothers for a levirite marriage.  Her
husbands crucified hundreds of opponents & converted nations by the sword.
When the second husband died, he named her as his successor, knowing that no
one else could make peace.  It was she who instituted universal elementary
education in Judea.  Unfortunately, at her death, girls' education was
eliminated.  It was also she who fostered peace with the Pharaisees & became
an advocate for their much more democratic religious outlook.  Her reign was
the only time there was peace in the Jewish commonwealth.

Or, sticking with Judaism, what about Dona Grazia, one of the richest women
of her time, who escaped the Inquisition & settled in the Ottoman Empire &
who arranged the rescue & ransom of legions of persecuted Jews?

How about those women writers who pioneered & founded their literatures &
were then ousted from the field by men?   I'm thinking of the world's first
known writer, Enheduanna, & the first novelist, Lady Murasaki.

But then these women are not hidden, they were great in their time.

Sheila Shiki y Michaels.