Re: Mythic Women discussion

Alice Varga Forner <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 9 Sep 1999 19:54:43 EDT

    Speaking of relationship does not necessarily mean "grouping"-- I am well
aware of the varied aspects and functions of goddesses even within Sumerian
culture itself.  However, to deny that one came first and possibly influenced
the identites of others is a little picayune.  Especially since Sumer several
times conquered Elam and Anshan, and both myth and archaeology suggest
sharing of and possible tranformations in their mythologies.
    And, of course, there may be oral traditons that were older, but if we
have to  consider that every time we speak, then how can you say Enheduanna
was the 'first' poet?  She is only the first on written record.  And any
'first' artifact discovered is only the first one that happened to be found.
    I know there is a popular trend toward calling all goddesses, 'The
Goddess,' and how annoying it is to have both historical and mythic women
seen as a group, rather than individually.  But why should we let that
prevent us from looking at relationships between cultures that lived, traded
and/or fought on the same land for thousands of years?
Alice VF