Re: Hidden Women

Max Dashu <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 12 Sep 1999 10:49:11 -0700

>Let me start with one of my favorites, Queen Salome Alexandra , who ruled in
>Judea from 76-67 B.C.E..

Fascinating!

>How about those women writers who pioneered & founded their literatures &
>were then ousted from the field by men?   I'm thinking of the world's first
>known writer, Enheduanna, & the first novelist, Lady Murasaki.

And we could add in the renegade nun Okuni, who originated Kabuki theater,
 from which women were soon banned.

But back to ancient times: I've seen only the briefest mention of the
queens of Te'elhenu in northern Arabia, and would love to know more. Then
there's the legendary Bilqis, the Yemenite name for the queen of Sheba,
described in folklore as leading worship of the sun goddess Shams.

Or the lover of Spartacus (was her name Olympia or am I just imagining it),
an Orphic priestess who prophesied his rise and fall. Along the same lines,
the Germanic priestesses Veleda and Aurinia, the former a major force in
the Batavian revolt against Rome. And Dahia Kahina, the Jewish-Berber
priestess who led resistance to the Muslim invasion of north Africa.

Max Dashu

         Suppressed Histories Archives       <[log in to unmask]>