Spikenard

Marilyn McFarlane <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 14 Sep 1999 09:26:24 -0700

For a paper on Mary Magdalene, I'm looking for information on spikenard
oil. Searches haven't revealed much so far. What I've found: It's an
aromatic ointment made from a rare plant from India. The English name comes
from Latin Spica Nardi, Sanskrit is Nardostachys jatamansi. It was in great
demand in ancient times, used as medicinal oil, to increase hair growth,
and as dowry item by rich women. Pliny said it was stored in alabaster
boxes by persons of eminence. It's been found in tombs. The Bible says Mary
Magdalene anointed Jesus with it. My questions: Was this oil used to
preserve bodies? To cover smell of decayed bodies? To anoint kings? As part
of Sacred Marriage between king and goddess? Mystical significance? In
Mary's day did it cost, say, a year's wages for a bricklayer?  Where and
how did people get it? Any answers or suggestions for further resources are
most appreciated!   Marilyn McF.