Re: Queen Salome Alexandra

Ellen Irene Case <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 14 Sep 1999 22:54:17 -0400

Nancy, you might find some of the following material helpful:

Amaru Helpern, Betsy, "Portraits of Biblical Women in Jpsephus'
Antiquities." Journal of Jewish Studies, Vol. 39, 1988.

Sievers, Joseph, "The Role of Women in the Hasmonean Dynasy," 132-146,
Josephus, the Bible and History, L.H. Feldman and H. Gohei, eds.,
(Wayne State Press, 1989.)

Ilan, Tal, "The Greek Name of the Hasmoneans," 1 - 20, The Jewish
Quartly Review, Vol. 78, July-October, 1987.

Ilan also has an article entitled "Queen Salamzion Alexandra and Judas
Aristobulus I's Widow," 181-190, Journal for the Study of Judaism, XXIV,
2, 1993.  Actually, Tal Ilan has written several pieces on Queen
Alexandra, and for excellent background information you might want to
check Ilan's "Jewish Women in Grecio-Roman Palestine.

I hae not mentioned the two entries by Josephus because I assume you
began with him. ("Wars" and "Antiquities").

Good luck.

Ellen Case
University of Toronto.