Re: incompletely known women

Paula Johanson <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 15 Sep 1999 13:25:57 -0600

At 10:52 AM 9/12/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I also recently enjoyed reading about "Boadicea" in a mildly revisonist
>semi-popular treatment by Antonia Frazer or Frasier or something.
>
>Don Walter
        Pauline Gedge wrote a fascinating historical novel called _The Eagle and
The Raven_ . Boadicea was one of the leading characters, as was a man who
united the tribes to resist the Roman invasion... an Arthur figure. But far
more interesting than this leader was his wife. She sat embroidering in the
background as her husband met with a Roman leader who offered a peace
treaty. After the Roman left, at her husband's request the wife recited
_every word the Roman had said_ three times so that he could think about
this peace treaty and whether it would be honoured.
        Pauline Gedge is a novelist who constructs strong, believable characters
with details that work in many ways. Her novels set in the time of the
Pharaohs are also to be recommended.
        Paula