Re: Beowulf and the Goddess

Susan Kray <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 17 Sep 1999 13:35:53 EDT

In a message dated 9/16/99 12:12:10 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  that
>  the indigenous people of Europe, the pre-Indo-European matriarchs of truly
>  'Old Europe', were the demons written of in that first of English-language
> sagas,
>  _Beowulf_, complete with their own culture, language and life-ways, and
far
> more influential
>  upon the landscape than we have been allowed to forget.

(I think you mean "remember").

These myths are fun as long as we remember they are myths--of modern making.
Nobody has discovered clear evidence of such matriarchs and in the nature of
things such evidence can probably never be found. Neither of course is there
clear evidence of such "Old European" patriarchs--for the same reason.
Ancient, pre-literate Gender relations are not that amenable to discovery
(although there are always those who will claim otherwise). Fiction writers
are thereby granted enormous freedom, and that is as it should be. Scholars,
naturally, have a duty to make it clear that there are certain things we
cannot know.

Susan Kray