Re: Phallic Persian Scabbard

Jim Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 25 Sep 1999 18:54:57 EDT

    I came across an odd bit today.  I was thumbing through DT Potts, The
Archaeology of Elam (Cambridge Univ Press, 1999).  On p 344 is a picture of a
Persian daggar & scabbard known as an "akinakes".The scabbard is obviously
phallic.  The tip is a rounded triangular shape like the head of a penis and
near the open end of the scabbard is a paired scallop which appears to be a
scrotum.   With such an obvious image in large reproduction it is interesting
that the author, who presumably chose the illustration, made no comment on
the obvious phallic appearance of the scabbard.
    Now, I do know that daggars and swords are obvious phallic symbols.
However, usually the imagry is not this obvious.  Does anyone know who has
written on this scabbard or others like it with explicit phallic appearance?
Jim Miller