waypoints

Ross Scaife <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:46:38 -0400

The Stoa electronic publishing consortium would like to announce the
availability of the Stoa Waypoint Database (http://www.stoa.org/stoagnd/).

The database is designed to serve as an archive of geographic data
(longitude and latitude coordinates) for ancient sites, buildings, objects,
geographic features, archaeological excavations,  etc.  Our goal is to
provide a freely accessible source of geographic data that can be used by
the widest possible audience.  We hope that this data will be useful, for
example,  in GPS units and GIS software for archaeologists in the field,
students working on research projects, and digital map makers, or anyone
else engaged in study and research.

All the data in the database may be browsed and searched on the web, and it
is also freely available for downloading into a generic comma-delimited
text file.

In addition we hope to grow the database through contributions of
geographic data from students, scholars, or anyone else who is interested.
All contributions are welcome.  If you would like to contribute geographic
data, please refer to the Stoa's Guidelines for Recording and Submitting
GPS Waypoints (http://www.stoa.org/guides/gps.shtml) for more information.

For more information about the database please feel free to contact Robert
Chavez ([log in to unmask]) or Ross Scaife ([log in to unmask]).  We
welcome all comments, suggestions or questions.

Robert Chavez
Perseus Project