Re: position of women

Barbara Lesko <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:07:57 -0400

earlier ages, but you might start with a very good textbook on women's
history which covers ancient Egypt up to the modern age in Europe.  This is
Becoming Visible: Women in European History, now in its 3rd ed. pub. by
Houghton Mifflin and edited by R. Bridenthal, S. Stuard and M. Wiesner.  I
am the editor of Women's Earliest Records from Ancient Egypt and Western
Asia, the proceedings of an international conference I organized at Brown
U. in 1987.  It is available from Scholars Press of Atlanta.  I also have a
book out: The Remarkable Women of Ancient Egypt, Providence: 1996, but
there are others out now as well, however, I think it would be most useful
to start with the college textbook mentioned above, which has
bibliographies too, of course.