Re: women's hair

"Barbara F. McManus" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 30 Sep 1999 19:32:18 -0400

I highly recommend Molly Myerowitz Levine, "The Gendered Grammar of Ancient
Mediterranean Hair" in *Off With Her Head! The Denial of Women's Identity in
Myth, Religion, and Culture.*  Ed. Howard Eilberg-Schwartz and Wendy Doniger
(Berkeley: University of California Press, 1995, 76-130).  Levine examines
gender differentiation in Greek, Roman, and Jewish hair codes.  For this
study, Levine draws upon laws, rituals, and practices relating to hair, myths
and legends in which hair plays a prominent part, and literary texts that
self-consciously emphasize hair.

The exhibit catalogue *I Claudia: Women in Ancient Rome,* ed. Diana E.E.
Kleiner and Susan B. Matheson (New Haven: Yale University Art Gallery, 1996)
has lots of excellent photos and some discussion of hairstyles, though mostly
from an art historical perspective.  My web page on Roman women's clothing
includes illustrations of various hairstyles though no in-depth discussion of
their significance: <http://vroma.rhodes.edu/~bmcmanus/clothing2.html>.
Barbara McManus

--
Barbara F. McManus, Professor of Classics