Re: Hidden Women

Jim Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 7 Sep 1999 20:52:12 EDT

In a message dated 09/07/1999 8:18:21 AM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
<< Can you list a few other "maddening little women" from antiquity who call
 and then retreat?  (I guess that would include most all of them, but I'm
 mainly interested in those who strike you as stand-out cases.) >>

    The two who come to mind are Sappho of Lesbos and Hypatia of Alexandria.
    Sappho, the famous and infamous, but what little we supposedly know about
her is ancient hearsay -- her marriage, her profession of running a school
for young women, etc.  Also, though she was highly praised in Hellenistic
times for her poetry, we have mere fragments of her works.  And, of course,
we lack a definitive answer to that question -- was she really a . . . um . .
. "Lesbian"?
    Hypatia of Alexandria, the great philosopher.  But none of her teachings
survive.  We do know more about her, both as philosopher and civic leader,
but most of that information comes through the writings of her opponents.
Jim Miller