ANAHITA  November 1999

ANAHITA November 1999

Re: Mirrors and reflections

Sat, 20 Nov 1999 00:34:31 -0700

On Fri, 19 Nov 1999, Max Dashu wrote:

> A couple thoughts: in the Eurasian steppes, goddesses or priestesses are
> depicted holding mirrors in the early centuries BCE/CE. There's a plaque
> which I recall as being from a Scythian kurgan at Novocherkassk showing a
> woman standing before a seated mature woman/goddess who is holding up a
> mirror before her.
        Some plaques and rings from that time and place and also from
Egypt during the time of the pharaohs bore images of women standing or
sitting before another woman holding a mirror. Sometimes these images are
clearly depicting grooming rather than reverence.
        About the Aztec "smoking mirrors" -- you've reminded me of the
expression "blue smoke and mirrors" which is used to describe contemporary
politicians' snake-oil sales tactics.
        Has anybody brought up the mirror in Snow White? Tanith Lee tells
a thoroughly chilling version of the Snow White tale in her short story
collection _Tales from the Sisters Grimmer._ Get thee to a library and
read this book. You'll never think of Snow White the same way again, nor
Cinderella either.
        Paula