Re: Writers' Group

Pam Casto <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 25 Nov 1999 08:28:48 -0500

Virginia Katzeff wrote:
Can anyone recommend an online writers' group (fiction, historical,
romance, or all three)?

***I'm the creator/admin of a Flash Fiction Writing Workshop (online).  We
take short short works, up to 1,000 words (anything longer is posted as an
"offer" where those interested in critiquing take care of it by private
email).  The variety of writing types runs the gamut-- experimental,
mainstream, historical, haibun, romance, horror, myths, fables, fairy tales,
prose poetry (but not "regular" poetry), magical realism, ghost stories,
vignettes, creative non-fiction, flash (aka sudden, fast, furious, postcard,
micro) fiction and more.  The primary focus of the workshop is to submit our
work and receive (and give) critiques.

We also have writing theory discussions, exercises, and share markets and
our publishing successes.  The group has about 50 active members and we can
take a few more before we put others on a waiting list.  The members run
from beginner to more advanced writers.  Participation is required (no
lurkers or browsers) and all members are required to be 18 or over and to
use their real names.

Creating short works such as those we consider in the Flash Fiction
Workshop, while a type or mode of writing-- an art-- in itself,  is also
useful in other ways, such as working to eliminate unnecessary words in
fiction works and experimenting on how short something can be and still
remain a "story."  "Flesh" can always be added to a story later, if
necessary.  See web site for more info:  http://home.att.net/~p.casto

A friend of mine also runs a longer fiction workshop, if that interests you
more.  So let me know and I'll put you in touch with her.

Pam Casto