Re: Two Iberia's

Peter Riedlberger <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:12:45 +0100

> Can someone help me learn more about the second, less known Iberia over in the Trans-Causcasus region?  There are scattered references to it establishing its geographical difference from the
> Iberian Peninisula we all know and love, but not much beyond that.  I have seen little, if anything, explaining the similarity.

>  Is there a cultural/historic tie?

> Bob Portlock

No, there isn't any tie. Did you know that there were Albanians in the
Caucasus, too, which aren't related to today's Balcan Albanians in any
way? To make things even more mysterious: The autonomous Russian
republic of Dagestan is inhabited by 27,5% of Avars - which are,
again, no relatives of those riding hordes which hit Europe in the
Dark Ages. Fascinating, isn't it?

But back to the Iberians. Indeed, we were not to the first to notice this
homonymy. The ancients speculated about a common ancestorship or a
homonymy caused by the fact that both countries have gold mines. (Strabo 11.2.18,
FGrHist 715 F 1, Appianus, Bell. Mithr., 466).

Today, only few will believe with Dumézil in a relationship (Journ. Asiat.
259, 1971, 139-161). For a much more sound view, check Deeters,
Gedenkschrift P. Kretschmer, I, Vienna 1956, pp.85-88.

Hope that helps.

Peter

Peter Riedlberger
Gabelsbergerstr. 32