snakes in ritual

Deborah Ferber <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 20 Dec 1999 15:21:56 -0800

Dear scholars (independent, academic, and otherwise),

I'm fairly new to the list, but after reading the query-exchange for a
while, decided to pitch a few of my own.  I having been researching the
culture and religion of Minoan Crete (cira 1650 BC) for five years while
writing a fiction novel set in that era.  I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know of ancient ritual asociated with snake-bite-induced
trance?  I read somewhere that snakes were used in this way, and that the
venom of asps or other poisonous snakes causes hallucinations.  Along these
lines, I'd be interested in any info about venemous snakes of the Aegean,
past or present.

2) I've read everything I could find that is written by Dr. Nannos Marinatos
(she is the foremost expert on Minoan religion, I believe), and I would very
much like to correspond with her -- does anyone on this list know if she has
an email address or some way that I could reach her?

Thanks in advance for any answers or clues you can send my way,

Deborah Ferber
Seattle, Washington, USA