the book "When God was a Woman"

Janeen Grohsmeyer <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 20 Dec 1999 22:05:46 -0500

About the book "When God was a woman"

Denise wrote:
>Susan, oddly enough I was considering purchasing the book just this weekend
>on the recommendation of an acquaintance. After reading your posts I'm not
>so eager to.
>
>Would it be possible to get a few recommendations on what books you would
>say maintain their integrity that are
>in this vein?

I'm also interested in what books Susan would recommend, but I would still
say that "When God was A woman" is worth reading.  It made me re-read parts
of the Bible, made me wonder, and made me take another look at the history
of that time, and another look at some of my assumptions regarding current
religions.

It is important (as it is with any book) to keep in mind the author's
biases, and I usually don't trust any single source for historical accuracy.
(I've been reading about the history of Catholic settlers in the English
colonies in North America.  Some of the accounts were written by Jesuits.
Some were written by Anglican ministers. Some were written by historians.
It's truly amazing how the same events were interpreted by different
people.)

Being forewarned about a particular book can help me be especially vigilant
in this regard, but a historical or philosophical bias doesn't automatically
negate every single thing in the book.

Janeen Grohsmeyer