Re: the book "When God was a Woman"

Janeen Grohsmeyer <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 21 Dec 1999 01:36:11 -0500

Sheila Shiki y Michaels wrote:
>  >>
>    Well, anything that makes you re-read parts of the Bible has its
virtues,
>but nothing else makes me admire the Merlin Stone book.

I didn't say I admired it. I said it was worth reading.  The book made me
think.  Sometimes I thought, "Interesting."  Sometimes I thought, "Oh, now,
really ..." and sometimes I thought "What on earth is she talking about?"
but disagreeing with a book can be very informative.

One of the reasons I think it's worth reading is because so many other
people have read it, and one hears about it.  Best to know what they're
talking about.

 You might want to
>take a look at Tikvah Frymer-Kensky's (sp?) _In The Wake of the Goddesses_.
>You should certainly look into anything by Susan Ackerman.  You'll find a
lot
>on the Diotima web site.

Thanks! I'll look into that.

>    But, please, don't expect an history of a time which left no written
>records.  And you know the ANE records we have are highly biased  --for
which
>they were guiltless--  no others were expected of them.

what's ANE?

Janeen Grohsmeyer