Re: crete and eleusis

Janis Anton <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 21 Dec 1999 11:11:29 EST

( Regarding Deborah Ferber's post on Mionan religion and snakes.)  The
current issue of Apollo magazine which features an article on a current
exhibit in Athens at the National Museum.  The exhibit focuses on the foods
of ancient Greeks (including those on Crete),  Surprise!  They ate meat year
round, daily in contrast to the commonly notion of meat/sacrfice only on
public feast days.

There is an intersting note that on Crete there were a couple hundrred years
when fish was not eaten.  Given the beautiful paintings of octopus and fish,
I wonder if they signified dinner or a more famile sort of relationship or
perhaps it was simply an environmental problem.

I too am curious about the association of snakes in the curlture.  Other than
the image of the Priestess holding up snakes, I saw no other sanke iconarphy
in the museum at Herculon (forgive the spelling) or the "palaces" on Crete.

My copy of The Road to Eleusis by R. Gordon Wasson and Albert Hofmann just
arrived.  If you have an interest in trance or shaminic ritual in the
culture, this is an unconventioal but interesting prospective.  When I was in
Greece, I saw what apperaed to me to be the obvious connection in pottery and
art between the Crete and Eleusis.  There are scholarly postions which
support the idea of cultural migration from Crete to the mainland.  If you
are writting fiction, the connection may offer some insight or be useful.

Good luck.
janis anton