historical events

Veronica Schanoes <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 21 Dec 1999 20:03:36 -0500

I actually find the comment below quite offensive and dangerous in its
implications.  We may not be able to ascertain beyond a shadow of a doubt
what exactly happened long ago, but that does not mean that historical
events "do not exist."  They certainly do, and they affect people in
decisive ways.  This country did allow the buying and selling of human
beings,  a bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, women with low IQs were
sterilized w/o their knowledge, etc, and on the plus side, people did
risk their lives to bring an end to segregation. Events have real effects.
We may not be able to be exact in our knowledge of events which took place
thousands of years ago, but it seems to me that to therefore infer that
historical events do not exist is rather self-centered.

Clearly we understand what remains to us our interpretations
and observations. But that does not necessarily mean that the events which
give rise to them are immaterial.

Actually, the ideas that there is no truth, and that events do not have
reality undermine the basis of feminism.  The reason there is a need for
feminism is because of historical events and actions which have served to
hurt women and keep us in positions of little power.  While we need to
uncover the biases behind what has been traditionally thought of as
"objective" assessments, to pretend that there is no truth or
historical events ultimately leads to the denial of real suffering.

Heisenberg's uncertainty principle states, I believe, that it is
impossible to know exactly where a given atom is.  It does not follow,
therefore, that atoms do not exist.

 --Veronica