Re: Eve's predecessors--reading recommendations

Susan Kray <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 22 Dec 1999 10:05:30 EST

Denise Underwood wrote:

>  Would it be possible to get a few recommendations on what books you would
>  say maintain their integrity that are
>  in this vein?

Yes, see my article addressing the issue of "the goddess" as it appears in
modern writings about the ancient world such as Stone's book and in their
cover copy, which advertises them as "scholarly." The article includes a
fairly extensive bibliography of  feminist (and other) scholarly works by
archaeologists,  historians, and scholars of religion.

Kray, Susan. July 1999. "Hidden Truth: Theories of Intellectual Work in the
Advertising Copy of a Mass Communication Genre: A Multidisciplinary
Perspective." Journal of Communication Inquiry. Vol. 23: 3.