Re: reality of historical events

Max Dashu <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 22 Dec 1999 15:07:57 -0800

> can be aware that a "historical event" as such does not exist.  There are
>only the >obervations and interpretations that we create.

This is going way too far for me. The European invasion of North America
can be interpreted all kinds of ways, including my use of the word invasion
which I regard as factual and which others would protest indignantly. The
fact remains that the indigenous population was decimated and displaced by
people of European descent. This is not theoretical for the Indian people
who live that reality. The non-Indians who live on that land are also
affected by that history, though usually unconscious of it except in the
most superficial ways.

The danger of postmodernist relativism is that holocaust deniers are put on
the same footing as survivors.

> The actual "truth" of the "historic event" may be unknowable,
>if there even is such a thing.

That's a different proposition, one I can get behind, given that the
victors write "history" and supply the lion's share of inscriptions,
monuments, and written records. But our proposition as historians,
archaeologists, etc, is that we can recover some of that truth. Otherwise,
why bother?

I agree that we need to be very conscious of the observations and
interpretations that people (including ourselves) create, but these do not
negate the reality that concrete things happen all the time. Including
events triggered by people's beliefs and interpretations.

Max Dashu
Suppressed Histories Archives