current matriarchy -the Musuo

Semira Dallali <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 23 Dec 1999 09:33:50 +-100

I've sent this yesterday, but it did not arrive in my inbox. In case any of you may be interested in checking out the Musuo (Mosuo) culture, a matriarchal/matrifocal society still in existence today, I send it once more. Sorry to not be able to provide the url's. Semira

----------
The still existent Chinese tribe of the Musuo is both described as matrilinear and matriarchal.

"Men and women are not united by wedlock, each living at the mother's home respectively, yet keeping a causal cohabitation relationship." Male and female bond as partners by choice, exchanging gifts to show their affection. They call each other 'Azhu' which means dear companion, but  never husband or wife. The father is referred to
as maternal uncle. The female is the leader of a family. They worship a Goddess.

"Set in a pristine natural environment, Luoshui Village in Yunnan has 2771 inhabitants. For
2,000 years, the Mosuos have maintained a society in which women uphold the integrity and
assume leadership roles in the community. 85% of the population are still living under matrilineal
family structures where women are heads of households, care for the young and the old, carry
the family lineage and distribute wealth and resources with equality. [Note: Did not participate
in Study Conference in New York, 22-24 Sept. 1995] " (How Man Wong)
Semira

>  Am I "wrong" in thinking that a predominance of
> matriarchal societies and female deities is accepted (by scholars) as
> existing before a male dominator god came along?  Is there still enough
> or lack of enough "evidence" to supply grounds for debate by open-minded
> people?
> Virginia Katzeff

That's interesting. I was told by my university teachers that there is
no proof of any society, past or present, that was ever matriarchal
(not to confuse with matrilinear, which is not that uncommon). Can
anyone give a conclusive proof to the contrary, perhaps by citing some
well studied ethnic group of more recent times (if possible, with
reference to a _scholarly_ publication)? In fact, theories about
prehistoric times are rarely waterproof, and just interpreting and
re-interpreting the same scarce material will hardly yield real progress.

Peter Riedlberger
Gabelsbergerstr. 32
80333 Munich
Germany