Re: matriarchy?

Robin Reed <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 23 Dec 1999 14:27:44 EST

In a message dated 12/23/99 7:21:13 AM !!!First Boot!!!, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<<    As I said before, we seem to think that "patriarchy" just popped men
into
 women's places in the social organization.  "Patriarchy" replaced
 "Matriarchy," right? >>

Personally, I don't believe we have ever had a true "matriarchy" in human
past.  I am much more inclined to go with the theory that many earlier
cultures were "matrifocal".

 <<But, of course, women were really nice, when they ruled
 the world.  Why, then, do we think it was a revolution?  I don't think the
 search for a Matriarchy is a very rewarding line of endeavor.  Fruitless,
 actually. >>

It is rather obvious that based upon the archaeological evidence of the
structures of the earliest cities or shared living arrangements that a
different form of society rule or expectation existed.  I also see a pattern
in the earliest supernatural belief systems that allude to a different view
of society.  Since the supernatural belief system of a people is one of the
manmade activities that tends to remain as consistant as humanly possibly
over a vast amount of time, it would appear that within this realm lies many
of the answers, albeit subjective, that we are searching for in our inquiry
into the past.

Since we are looking at human culture which in itself is subjective, the
information that we do have is biased to some extent by the viewpoint of the
author.  So much of the information that has been collected has been based
upon our own patriarchal view of the past that the only way we can have any
idea of what might have objectively occurred in the past is to continue to
reanalyze the data that has been presented as "fact."

Robin Reed