Re: I just joined this group and just started getting messages

Kasia Szpakowska <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 17 Dec 1999 07:15:47 -0800

Hi!

Well, in terms of ancient Egypt I've been trying to think of any stories
associated with women from pre-Hellenistic Egypt, and could not come up
with anything positive. The "Tale of Two Brothers" features the woman as
seductress, as does the "Tale of Truth and Falsehood". Egyptian
mythology is not concerned with people, but with deities. Thus unlike
many cultures, a creation myth -- a first man & woman  la Adam & Eve
are lacking.

I like your question "what myths are extant about the women who
preceeded Eve?" It's interesting since according to the myth Eve was the
first woman, by definition there would be none before her.

For "real" ancient Egyptian women I would recommend "Women in Ancient
Egypt" by Gay Robins. For Egyptian goddesses, "The Great Goddesses of
Ancient Egypt" by Barabar Lesko.

--
Kasia Szpakowska
Dept. of Near Eastern Languages and Cultures, UCLA