Re: Eve's predecessors--reading recommendations

Susan Kray <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 25 Dec 1999 14:17:19 EST

Tom writes>
>  Susan,
>    Thanks for posting the reference to your article. Now *I* want to track
>  down of copy of the _Journal of Communication Inquiry_ and see what *you*
>  have to say.

Good!

>If I can get a hold of it in time, do you think it might be
>  appropriate reading for a 2nd year undergrad class in Women's Studies?

Highly appropriate! In fact, I believe you could get some very good classroom
discussion from the article. Some of this discussion would have quite wide
application; for example, I explicitly discuss what constitutes scholarship,
feminist scholarship in general and feminist scholarship pertaining to
religion. I believe 2nd year undergraduates will need your help with the
theoretical parts of the literature review (or they could skip that section).
I would probably have them look first at the cover copy of the actual books,
insofar as that would be possible, and see what they make of them before
reading the article.

Examples:
When God Was A Woman (Merlin Stone, 1978/1990). The Chalice and the Blade:
Our History, Our Future (Riane Eisler, 1987/1995). The Creation of Patriarchy
(Gerda Lerner, 1986/1993); The Once and Future Goddess: A Symbol For Our Time
(Elinor W. Gadon, 1989); and The Great Cosmic Mother: Rediscovering the
Religion of the Earth (Monica Sjöö and Barbara Mor, 1987/1991).

>    Also, could you write a little more about how you make the connection
>  between mass communication and the contemporary Goddess Movement? (My own
>  development has been in the other direction--from Religious Studies to the
>  Philosophy of Communication.)

Well, to quote myself... (delicious self-indulgence): the relevant books
constitute a "genre of mass-marketed spirituality literature written by and
for women" ..."Marketing Feminist Hope" to a widely scattered audience whose
main contact with the women's spirituality movement comes from mass-marketed
books... Information garnered from interviews with publishers' sales reps
also shows that the books are a mass communication phenomenon. Not on the
scale of Stephen King, of course, but distributed in the same mass-market
venues (the bookstore chains and online bookstores), justifying their
continued printing through their continuing sales.

I would be very interested in your reaction to the article and would also
love to know, if you use it with your class, how the class responds to it and
what you judge they learn from it.

best regards,

Susan Kray