M. Stone & matriarchy discussion

Alice Varga Forner <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 26 Dec 1999 14:25:58 EST

Hello-
    I've been away from the list and coming back to this discussion was quite
invigorating.  I've got to just log in my thanks to Deborah, Robin, Janeen
and Semira. My experience in researching ancient themes has also been that,
even among scholars, interpretations vary according to their own cultural
orientation.  Does anyone remember that early Egyptologists refused to
interpret people with Negroid features as royalty or leaders?
    Susan, I respect what you're working at, but let me just say that, in
some ways you are as dangerous as M.Stone. Authors often have little say
about the cover copy that a commercial publisher chooses in order to sell a
book. Her book was written in a time when people needed a kick-- and that
sort of thing just doesn't come out of scholarly circles.  And when it does--
as in M.Gimbutas, a thorough scholar -- it is not well received. So, they
necessarily get submerged into the melee of a publishing industry based upon
selling.  Socrates called himself a gadfly, and that's how I see Stone.  To
silence these kind of voices just because they don't uphold the strict rules
of our mainstream institutions seems very wrong to me.
    I also agree that we have to look beyond the patriarchy-matriarchy thing.
Both history and world cultures have shown that there are many different ways
of organizing how men and women live together--and they are not necessarily
about male or female dominance.  Maybe it is our own cultural bias that makes
us obsessed with who is in control, instead of examining with fresh eyes the
creative options chosen by people from a different time or place.
Happy new year to all!                          Alice