Gerda Lerner and who??

Erica Hill <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 26 Dec 1999 14:12:26 -0600

Semira wrote:

>Those who profess mainstream scientific views and opinions are more able to
>pose as 'neutral' and 'objective' (since their views are consistent and
>congruent with 'common knowledge' and culture), than those who step outside
>and question mainstream scientific views, beliefs and notions (as do Eisler,
>Lerner, Stone, Daly).

Hmmmm . . . although I tend to agree with your statement about supposed
neutrality, I really wonder at the wisdom of listing folks like Riane
Eisler and Merlin Stone with an academic historian like Gerda Lerner.

Gerda Lerner presents (in my opinion) a judicious reading of the evidence
for a general audience.  Eisler and Stone have explicitly -political-
agendas in their work.  They are using the past to legitimize women's roles
in the present (and they say so!)  See, for a great critique, Lynn
Meskell's article "Goddesses, Gimbutas, and 'New Age' Archaeology in the
journal Antiquity, vol. 69, 1995.

> 2. Even in a field like physics the targeting of a larger audience with
>books written by highly regarded scientists is actively sought after and
>brought into practice. Some well known examples:
>-A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking
>-The Empire's New Mind by Roger Penrose
>-The First Three Minutes by Stephen Weinberg (nobel price laureate)

This is true.  But Stone and Eisler are NOT classicists or archaeologists
or historians, and certainly not "hard" scientists.  In fact, I don't
consider them "scholars" (and I have read their books).  (I'm not sure that
they would claim to be scholars).  They don't appear to have the training
or breadth of knowledge of the archaeological or historical records to
critically evaluate and critique their sources.  Lerner, on the other hand,
most certainly does (I've read her books too ).

{Doubtless Gerda Lerner has no need of my defense, but she happens to be
one of my favorite historians of women's history.}

Erica Hill

Erica Hill, Visiting Assistant Professor
Department of Anthropology
University of Iowa
114 Macbride Hall
Iowa City, IA  52242