Re: M. Stone & matriarchy discussion

Susan Kray <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 27 Dec 1999 16:04:07 EST

In a message dated 12/26/99 2:26:14 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I've got to just log in my thanks to Deborah, Robin, Janeen
>  and Semira. My experience in researching ancient themes has also been that,
>  even among scholars, interpretations vary according to their own cultural
>  orientation.  Does anyone remember that early Egyptologists refused to
>  interpret people with Negroid features as royalty or leaders?
>      Susan, I respect what you're working at, but let me just say that, in
>  some ways you are as dangerous as M.Stone.

I'm dangerous? Nobody has ever called me dangerous before!  Gracious! Did you
read my article? and you think I'm dangerous? Incredible.

>Authors often have little say
>  about the cover copy that a commercial publisher chooses in order to sell a
>  book.

I understand that, and that is why I take care in my article to point out
where the cover copy is consistent with the text and where it omits or merely
hints at points made by the texts; indeed, most of the bigotry occurs in the
text, not the cover copy. Compare them for yourself and tell me where you
think the text is more clearminded and fair than the cover copy. The cover
copy is the relatively good part.

>Her book was written in a time when people needed a kick-- and that
>  sort of thing just doesn't come out of scholarly circles.

Whether or not one thinks people "need a kick," one is still responsible for
what one publishes.

And when it does--
>  as in M.Gimbutas, a thorough scholar -- it is not well received. So, they
>  necessarily get submerged into the melee of a publishing industry based
upon
>  selling.  Socrates called himself a gadfly, and that's how I see Stone.

Oh, was Socrates vilifying other people's ethnic heritages? races? I guess I
missed that part.

>  silence these kind of voices just because they don't uphold the strict
rules
>  of our mainstream institutions seems very wrong to me.

Silence these voices? I said Stone should be silenced? Where did I say such a
thing? On the contrary, I think people should read what Stone has written and
compare her claims to what is actually said in the Bible and her other
supposed sources.

Furthermore, her claim of archaeological documentation should be compared to
what archaeologists, especially feminist archaeologists, say. It would make
great material for a course in critical thinking. By all means, read the
book. I modestly suggest you read my article, too--critically, of course--and
look up some of the archaeologists I cite, to see what they have to say about
such matters.  Also, you might address the degree to which I am "dangerous"
more effectively if you considered my actual words and not the ones you
apparently imagine I said about "silencing" people.  I believe that one is
dangerous partly to the extent that one misquotes others and mischaracterizes
them in a debate. It's not nice to leap to unjustified negative conclusions.

Happy New Year,

Susan Kray