Re: Young citation

Susan Kray <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 27 Dec 1999 17:38:38 EST

In a message dated 12/27/99 4:59:37 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  This message is directed to Susan Kray, who recommended an article by
>  Katherine K. Young on Gerda Lerner.  (Susan--I don't have your e-mail so am
>  sending this via the list.)
>
>  Which of Young's articles would you recommend??  I know Lerner's "Creation
>  of Patriarchy" book has errors,

Young focuses largely on a faulty methodology. I would be interested to know
what you think when you have read her critique(s).

>always a problem when one is doing an
>  ambitious synthetic work.

Ah, those synthetic works, they are so full of pitfalls. I'm not saying they
can't be done well, but so often they are not.

>I'd like to read a good critique of it though.
>
>  thanks,
>  Erica Hill

I'm answering on list, since there has been quite a flurry about Lerner, and
adding another Young article you may also be interested in. It is a response
to a response to the earlier article.

Young, Katherine K. 1991. "Goddesses, Feminists, and Scholars." In The Annual
Review of Women in World Religions, 1, eds. Arvind Sharma and Katherine K.
Young. State University of New York Press.

Young, Katherine K. (1997). "Response to Ruth Andersen's Review of the Annual
Review of Women in World Religions, a Philosophy East and West Feature
Review." Philosophy East and West. Honolulu. October 1997. 581-587. V. 47:4.

Also, I have an article on Lerner in press, or I should say in the In Press
Limbo, which goes specifically after areas of difficulty relating to the
biblical text.

Susan Kray
Associate Professor of Communication
Indiana State University