Re: Stone et al

Robin Reed <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 27 Dec 1999 21:40:16 EST

You know, I have to add something of a more personal matter here.  I grew up
in rural Kansas and never heard anything but the old party line in relation
to religion, men and women, gender expectations, etc.  It wasn't until I
stumbled across Merlin Stone and Barbara Walker that I had the chance to read
a different viewpoint - one that seemed much closer to what I "knew" to be
the truth.   Because of them I've now discovered Gimbutas, Harrison, Lerner,
etc.  It's just like in most of the sciences - you have to begin somewhere.
Looking back at the theories of other sciences, the founding "fathers" always
seemed to be incorrect about somethings, but at least laid the groundwork for
the truths that would follow.

I don't care that Merlin Stone isn't an Oxford trained scholar - we're
probably better off that she isn't.  She is searching for the truth and just
because someone is in academia doesn't mean that that is their goal as well.
Often, we have to bow to the powers-that-be for some time just to have the
opportunity to be in a position to pursue scholarly research.  I admire and
respect those women who fought for what they believed in, regardless of
whether they had the "academically sanctioned research" to substaniate it at
the time.  Damn, maybe Columbus shouldn't have headed west before someone
presented proof that the world wasn't flat.  It's those individuals who are
willing to push the boundries and take the chances that lead us to knew
heights.

Robin Reed