Re: cover(ed) politics

Semira Dallali <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 28 Dec 1999 13:50:16 +-100

Peter, please read the entire correspondence first before you conclude things weren't asked, said or clarified.

----------
From:  Peter Riedlberger
Sent:  dinsdag 28 december 1999 13:04
To:  [log in to unmask]
Subject:  Re: cover(ed) politics

> It is normal procedure to introduce your arguments (apparently made in your article) at the list, instead of hiding behind an article not readily available and just asserting wild statements.
> Accusations (either implicit or explicit) of racism I take very seriously; and I find it particularly unethical when without providing *substantive* (instead of ad feminam) arguments within the
> discussion-just referring to an article won't do (not everybody will be able to get hold of it).

If I want to participate in a discussion about the TV program, I
should have access to a TV set. If I start a scholarly discussion, I
should have access to a good library. You need a certain basis to
start from. Blaming someone for giving merely a reference instead of
posting the whole article seems rather odd. If you don't have the
article at hand, try to get it via inter-library loan. Or ask the
author for a copy. But just rejecting it because you don't have it is
certainly no good.

> A last repeat: grounding one's work in scholarship (and claiming to do so) doesn't constitute a claim to have written a scholarly book.

I don't know whether you or Susan is right. I am too less at home in
this domain. But what I certainly know is that unproven accusations
("doesn't ...") give at least myself the impression that you don't
have too many water-proof arguments.

> I find your responses unprofessional, your arguments fairly unsound and your ideology/politics anti-feminist and reactionary, and thus will discontinue discussion with you.

Was your answer "professional"? Did you give here "fairly sound"
arguments? Do you think your "ideology/politics" is less biased,
albeit the other way round? And do you really prefer just to speak
with people who share your opinions while pass over those who think
different? Discussions live on disagreement :-)

Peter Riedlberger
Gabelsbergerstr. 32
80333 München

Tel.: 089-52314470