Barbara Lesko <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 29 Dec 1999 10:12:49 -0500

If I may weigh in here:  One of the reasons I was motivated to spend eight
years researching and writing my latest book on the goddesses of Egypt was
because of books like Merlin Stone's which is sadly out-dated in its facts
and thus misleads the general reader who cannot discern easily what is
wrong with it.  There is nothing wrong with writing non-scholarly books in
my opinion.  Indeed, those who do have access to the latest information
have an obligation to disseminate it to the wider reading public beyond
their classrooms.
On the question of patriarchy, it has always seemed obvious to me that
there are various degrees of male dominance of a culture or society. In the
case of ancient Egypt, where women were independent legal personalities and
did not  require a male co-signatory or legal guardian, could themselves
buy and sell property, adopt children etc. on their own and did not require
a male to mediate for them with a deity we surely have an example of a
watered-down patriarchy in comparison to some extreme contemporary examples
in the ancient world.  Instead of looking for matriarchies, why not examine
egalitarian societies, which did exist (as the anthropologist Leacock
pointed out years ago)although rarely.