What is Reality?

Katzeff <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 29 Dec 1999 21:01:49 -0600

It's been fun reading the emotional responses some list members have
been giving lately regarding scholarship, evidence, and what can or
cannot be known, but has it furthered the intention of this list?  When
we get down past all the politics, religious doctrine, personal opinion,
and ego trips, nobody can really "prove" anything.  It's a matter of
belief-- even if you show me proof that bumblebees can't fly, I still
believe that they can.   We can only make our own observations, be as
objective as possible (realizing how limited our capacity for
objectivity may be), and draw whatever conclusions we want.  We can read
books and use our analytical skills to decide what we believe the author
has accomplished.  We can dig up bones or vases or cities and project
upon them our prejudices, no matter how "scientific" we may pretend to
be.  We will never really "know" anything except what we experience
directly, and even that "knowledge" is subjective.  But we don't need to
label each other or each other's statements with even more disparaging
words.  Why can't one person's telepathy be as valid as another's expert
interpretation of events that neither experienced directly?  Some list
members need to get out of their own way and open their minds!
Virginia Katzeff