Re: Young Citation and Pre-historic Woman's Status

Peter Riedlberger <[log in to unmask]>

Peter Riedlberger <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 30 Dec 1999 17:32:41 +0100

> If woman and
> men equally contribute to gathering food, and everybody has to
> pull their own weight so to speak, then doesn't that suggest an
> egalitarian society.

> Allison Nies

Perhaps. But I am not that sure. There are - unfortunately - many
instances of societies which have the women doing the bulk of the work
while men rule. Other societies restrict women to childcare while men
work *and* command. Therefore, I do not really believe that there is an
"automatic" correlation between the work done and the amount of power
hold by a certain social group (in this case, gender). This does of
course not mean that I would rule out the possibility of a prehistoric
egalitarian society, but I'd like to have additional evidence.

Peter Riedlberger
Gabelsbergerstr. 32
80333 München

Phone: 089-52314470