Re: The Status of Pre-historic Women

Xina <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 30 Dec 1999 15:05:30 -0600

At 12:31 PM 12/30/99 -0800, Allison Nies wrote:
>And yet, I can think of an example where the opposite was
>true.  The example I'm thinking of comes from the 5 nations
>of native Americans in the north east (I can't think of all
>their names, Iroqois, Algonquin?).

Six Nations Iroquois consist of the Seneca, Mohawk, Onondaga,Cayuga, the
Tuscarora and the Onieda.  The Clan Grandmothers hold the trusteeship of
who is "chief" and who is not in the Confederacy.  Betray the People and
the Clan Mothers/Grandmothers are what remove him. This happened recently
in NY state when one of the chiefs of the Seneca Nations, against the will
of the People, signed an agreement with the Governor of NY .  The
Grandmothers came into his office ordered him out and when he refused to
leave the old ladies took switches to him and beat him out. He was then
thrown in the back of a truck by the warrior society, backing up the Clan
Mothers and escorted out of the territory. Maybe that sort of solution is
not pretty, or well documented in the records of archaeology, (mostly
written by whom?)  This is the way its been done  in the First Nations
since long before non-Indians first arrived on the shores - particularly by
the Iroquois.  It must be a fairly good system, since it was the Iriquois
Confederacy that inspired the "Founding Fathers" to write the Constitution
of the U.S. - of course unlike the Indians, such rights and influence, were
not extended to women.

>Not so in native American society.  The chief was the "main
>speaker" or head spokes person.  And their society was
>matri-lineal.  The women owned the land.

Thats the key, right there.  The "Chiefs" were the merely spokespersons,
more or less an elective representative, which was responsible for carrying
out the will of the Nation or in this case the Six Nations. If that office
could not be entrusted to that person, they were removed.  Without the Clan
Mothers and Grandmothers  a man could not  hold power in that society.

Christina Paul