Re: Eve's predecessors

Semira <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 18 Dec 1999 10:24:43 +-100

Susan wrote:
>>You may indeed. But be aware this is very unreliable material, full of
misinformation, bigotry, baseless generalizations, speculations presented as
fact, and numerous other problems in reasoning. For example, Stone tries to
show an "ironic" connection between Judaism and Hitler, using a fanciful
etymology for the name Hitler, which she says Adolph Hitler made up (it was
in fact an old surname in his family). Her false statements about the Bible
are no better.<<

Stone has been quoted by many feminist scholars. Stone does not present her book as an academic work ("this is not intended as an archaeological or historical text") ; but does base most of it on the work of other academics. Speculations are brought as speculation, e.g. re the surname of Hitler (see page 127). Its main 'disqualification' probably is that it is explicitly feminist and pro 'pagan' and critical of main stream science and patriarchal religion.
Semira