UNICODE Archives

UNICODE@LSV.UKY.EDU

UNICODE Home

UNICODE  December 2002

UNICODE December 2002

TLG proposals to the Unicode Standard

"Maria C. PANTELIA" <[log in to unmask]>

For issues pertaining to ancient languages <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 2 Dec 2002 17:03:36 -0800

Dear Listmembers,

        Just a note to give you an update on the status of our proposals
to the Unicode Consortium.

        UTC voted to accept our proposals to encode the following
characters:

Greek Musical Characters
Greek Metrical Symbols
Greek Letter San (Small and Capital)
Greek Punctuation Symbols

Revised versions of the proposals are posted at
http://www.tlg.uci.edu/Uni.prop.html

We did not submit final versions for the Greek Numerical Characters (plus
acrophonics) because we felt that more time is needed to reach a consensus
on the proposal. Finally the proposal to encode 9 NT sigla was well
received but no vote was taken because UTC will need to come up with a new
General Punctuation block first.

At this point I would like to recognize the contribution of David Perry,
a member of this list and author of the Cardo font who worked long hours
to produce the fonts required by Unicode. David worked under strict
deadlines. The final submission of these proposals would not have been
possible without his commitment and dedication. James Kass, author of
Code 2001, kindly extended his expertise in a moment's notice to help with
the Musical Symbols font. We are indebted to both of them.

Maria Pantelia
TLG