SUDA@LSV.UKY.EDU

SUDA Home

SUDA  January 1998, Week 4

SUDA January 1998, Week 4

techie issues

"Max B. Christoff" <[log in to unmask]>

e-suda byzantine lexicography project <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 23 Jan 1998 13:50:23 -0500

David Meadows has made some good points about program ownership. Bearing
in mind the long-term health of the project, and because I come from both
a classics and a software consulting/engineering background, I'd like to
add the following thoughts (even if quite premature at this stage):

I would assume that the backend cgi stuff would be written in perl5, not
Java (however tempting the latter might be to a CS major who will be out
on the job market soon). Besides all the goodies like CGI.pm that exist
for perl, the kinds of searching and text-processing we want to do would
be ludicrously complex in Java compared to perl. Recently I've seen too
many projects start out in Java with the best of intentions and then move
to Perl when deadlines actually draw near...

Having said that, I would have no objections to seeing Java/Javascript
being used on the web page itself (though a standard html alternative
would be a good idea).

Perhaps this discussion is a bit untimely, but it's much easier to start
the right way than it is to re-code later when it turns out that one's
programming language of choice doesn't do all that one hopes.

Max

Max Christoff
Department of Classics
Princeton University