SUDA@LSV.UKY.EDU

SUDA Home

SUDA  January 1998, Week 4

SUDA January 1998, Week 4

Re: Length of the Suda

Patrick Rourke <[log in to unmask]>

e-suda byzantine lexicography project <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 27 Jan 1998 12:12:44 -0500

I put a guestimate of 1% for the percentage of lemmata claimed so far.
Maybe 3% is a better number, with 31K for the figure.

I'm beginning to think more and more that after the first blush is off, the
book should be divided up alphabetically or subalphabetically --
<humor>mainly because my fingers will become cramped if I have to write out
100 KB of code just to list the lemmata and their translators!</humor>
Seriously, is anyone else beginning to think that a do-your-own-thing
selection process isn't really feasible for a work this size?

> Patrick Rourke asks:
>
> >  I know the Suda's long, but how long is the damn thing? 50,000
lemmata?
> >  (Oh, I hope not. . . . )

Malcolm Heath answers:

> It is only (!) 31,342 lemmata long (or if we're really ambitious and
> include the Tactica, 31,410).
>
> That's 2775 (or 2785) pages of Greek.

At the rate I read Greek, that's about four years' work.