Butrica/Meadows

Ross Scaife <[log in to unmask]>

e-suda byzantine lexicography project <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 23 Jan 1998 12:07:00 -0500

Posted to to the Classics list:

From: James Butrica <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: final (or so) thoughts on the Suda

I'll do a quick response from a translator's point of view; others will no
doubt want to say other things.

dm noted:

>1. On using Adler's text (this might have been hinted at before) -- as was
>mentioned, Adler does make note of the sources of the passage; in many
>cases, it seems, the sources still exist and the text that survives is
>superior to that which is found in Adler's collation of the Suda (was there
>a collation?). Should translators make an effort to track such things down?

I think that it is important for translators to translate what is in the
Suda, not what might be found in a better text than that used by the
compiler; on the other hand, I think that the fully flowered project should
include indications of where the Suda text differs from standard texts, and
should, where possible, give some indication of just what source or what
kind of source was used by the Suda.
As well, the apparatus fontium will have to be incorporated in some form,
since so much of the content consists of quotations, from various authors,
collections of scholia, etc. But this raises another question. Will it be
desirable to decree that there will be a single standard translation used
for quotations of specific authors--always taking textual variants into
account, of course? For example, should all citations of Aristophanes be
quoted as translated by Sommerstein in the A&P series (to pick what is
probably the least un-literal version and therefore the most desirable for
this project)? Or is this kind of consistency unnecessary or even
undesirable?
And a point which seems painfully obvious: what form will the final result
take? I realize that the Roman alphabet format at the Helios site might
have something to do with the difficulties involved in "doing" Greek on
such sites and so might not be the format at which we are aiming, and also
that browsing for entries can be done through a Roman-letter site such as
this, which will be valuable for that purpose, but will there also be a
complete English Suda arranged by Greek letter and containing all the
entries in the order in which the Suda gives them?
JLB

James Lawrence Peter Butrica
Department of Classics
Memorial University