SUDA@LSV.UKY.EDU

SUDA Home

SUDA  January 1998, Week 4

SUDA January 1998, Week 4

Re: techie issues

Ross Scaife <[log in to unmask]>

e-suda byzantine lexicography project <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 23 Jan 1998 15:56:46 -0500

Max -- not an untimely discussion at all, I'd say.  Your comments about
perl accord with thinking here as well.

On the ownership/copyright issues: Raphael Finkel (CS faculty adviser) and
Huar-En Ng (MA candidate, who goes by Desmond) are both on this list now
and can speak for themselves, but Raphael tells me that anything they build
will include the GNU Public License (also known as the GPL, or the
"copyleft").  This means that the code will be available to others for
modification and reuse in the future.  As for the data (the English
translation, the associated annotations, bibliography, and hypertextual
links), it seems to me it's in the long-term interests of this group and
the field that the material be available in the future to others who might
like to write their own interface, or incorporate it into some larger
enterprise.  But that's something everyone needs to decide.  At any rate I
think two distinct entities should emerge here: 1) a searchable, browsable
interface that enables scholarly collaboration, and 2) a collection of
useful interpretive data about the Suda.

Ross