Dear Friends,

Following Sophia's reasoning (points c and d), I'd like to add another rather simple point: lifting the absurd restriction of 3+3 excavations per (already established!) Foreign School of our present Archaeological Law.
And more specifically: any country that wishes to establish an archaeological school in Greece should be allowed to do it.
Any professor of Archaeology of any University with a proper 3 years excavation experience in Greece and with at least 3 relevant scientific co-/publications should be allowed to undertake any new excavation/survey.
Moreover: local Ephorates may and should publicize a list of priority for sites/surveys etc that are not within the Greek Service planning for the immediate future.
Needless to add that not only an approved by the local Ephorate Greek archaeologist must be employed for supervision, but the number of Greek archaeologists that should work in any such project could be adjusted according to the seriousness of the task at hand.
Last but not least, a bit less bureaucracy for any such current or future undertaking could –and should- be cut to a reasonable limit, i.e. a local Ephorate and not a KAS approval if there are no complicated legal obstacles and a 1/2/3/4/5 years valid permit which may certainly be revoked if the Ephorate has any reasons to do so, but with no other limitation regarding months and days! Co-operation between excavator and Ephorate concerning dates, personnel and safekeeping is a matter of course, isn’t it?

The above may sound a bit radical (considering the long founded tradition that rules), but we need a helping hand. Or don't we?...

My Best Regards,

Christos