Print

Caroline, I don't know the answer to your question about whether any of the daturas grew in Crete, but another candidate to consider would be Egyptian blue lotus or lily (Nymphaea caerulea, also called sacred blue lily or narcotic lily. It contains mild alkaloids and some suggest it inspired the account of the Lotophagi (lotus-eaters) in the Odyssey. Since Crete was strongly influenced by Kemetic culture, this might be a more likely direction to look.

Max

Iím seeking information on the use of psychoactive drugs in Bronze Age Crete. We know the Minoans were familiar with Opium, and alcohol. They probably did not have the classic hallucinogens: the Fly Agaric and Psilocybin mushrooms, or Ergot, and most certainly not the Mescal and Peyote cactuses.

The Aegean version of the Sea Daffodil (Pancratium Maritimum) is not hallucinogenic, although an African cousin, Pancratium Trianthum, is reputedly so.

Does anyone know whether European plants such as Henbane (Hyoscyamus niger), Mandrake (Mandragora officinarum), Deadly Nightshade (Atropa belladonna), Hemlock (Conium maculatum), Monkshood (Aconitum napellus) or Thornapple (Datrura strammonium) grew in Bronze Age Crete?